Every Sunday, this blog will explore France, based on our family's virtual explorations in 2011
Can you find France on a map? It's the largest country in the European Union, and borders Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Monaco and Andorra.
|Paris skyline with Eiffel Tower|
Photo Credit: Miroslav Petroska (CC)
- France is sometimes referred to as "The Hexagon" because of the six sided shape of its borders.
- It has a population of 66.6 million people
- French is the official language and the most spoken, but there are many other regional dialects and languages, like Basque, Alsatian and Breton to name just a few
- More than 80% of the population is Roman Catholic.
- The capital of France is Paris
- France receives 83 million foreign tourists every year - the most of any country in the world!
|Gordes, in the region of Provence, FrancePhoto Credit: Jorge Sanmartin Maissa(CC)|
- The French national motto is "Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité" (Freedom, Equality and Brotherhood).
- The French flag is known as Le Drapeau Tricolor, or Tricolour for short.
- The French government awards medals to citizens who have "successfully raised several children with dignity".
- France was the first country to introduce the licence plate.
- France uses 12 different time zones, the most of any other country in the world.
- There are 350-400 distinct types of French cheese
- The French can take credit for many inventions & discoveries, including Braille, the metric system, aspirin, bicycles, hot air balloons and the Etch-a-Sketch
|The French AlpsPhoto Credit: Bernard Blanc (CC)|
Did you learn anything new?